Discover how to power your dispute proceedings workflow
When your authority is faced with a dispute, which could potentially require the authority to issue or defend court proceedings, you need to react quickly and effectively to provide up-to-date, accurate advice, minimise risk and costs, and achieve a positive and early resolution, whether you deal with it in-house or instruct external legal advisors.
Tap an icon to find out more
You need to try to resolve issues before litigation becomes necessary.
- Practical Law Dispute Resolution pages offer practice notes, standard letters and checklists on pre-action protocols with specific resources tailored to local government issues, such as ‘Housing Disrepair’ and ‘Repossession for Social Landlords’. There are also resources on alternative dispute resolution to avoid court proceedings.
Consider merits and strategy for resolution
You need to give accurate advice and risk assessment of the situation, with the objective of limiting damage.
- Practical Law practice notes and checklists can help you to navigate the court rules and procedures and highlight areas of risk.
- Practical Law resources provide guidance on issues such as contractual constraints, liability, insurance, jurisdiction or limitation issues and whether action may be required to limit damages and costs.
Understanding what legislative and regulative changes are imminent has never been so important.
- Help plan your strategy and keep up-to-date with legal and regulatory developments using Westlaw UK and Lawtel’s cases and legislation including historic and prospective law versioning and consolidated Bills, journals, and news.
- Practical Law’s legal updates highlight new legislation and guidance and the key dates calendar provides the information you need about upcoming legislative and regulatory changes.
- Our Brexit pages will keep you up to speed with developments as they occur.
- Reduce the time you spend searching multiple online resources with Solcara Legal Search, allowing you to check all your preferred case law content sources with a single easy-to-use search interface.
Guidance all the way
Once you’ve decided your strategy, you need guidance all the way from complaint to disposal.
- Practical Law provides you with regularly maintained guidance, including practice notes, checklists, court forms and standard documents (with drafting notes).
- For more tricky points, consult the commentary in Practical Law's legal updates, check the latest rules, or simply Ask Practical Law. You can also use Practical Law tools to help you to calculate interest, estimate costs or check procedural time limits.
- For relevant authorities, rely on Westlaw UK and Lawtel for the most authoritative and up-to-date insight, cases, legislation and journals.
- Rely on commentary titles from Sweet & Maxwell, including the White Book, Conflict of Laws, Civil Evidence for Practitioners, and Civil Costs for Practitioners for continued civil litigation guidance.
Reaching a settlement
You want to reach a settlement quickly and with certainty.
- Practical Law has an extensive settlement section which includes a number of precedents, practice notes, and up-to-date opinion articles.
- Practical Law toolkit on settlement for in-house lawyers sets out clearly the factors you may need to consider in deciding whether and when to settle, the different forms that a settlement offer may take and the tax implications of settlement. You can use Practical Law Standard document, settlement agreement if you reach a settlement. It comes with drafting notes which help you to customise it for your needs.
Obtain a view on complex points
When you hit complex points or issues you need a reliable sounding board.
- You can use Ask Practical Law for those tricky questions on procedural issues as you manage your dispute.
Instructing external legal advisors
When instructing external legal advisors, you need to be able to identify and select the best advisors as well as manage your workload and budget.
- If at any stage you decide to instruct external advisors to assist with the dispute, Legal Tracker gives you more transparency over your projects, enabling you to better manage your external advisor instruction process and spend.
- Legal Tracker also provides the data you need to make the right decisions on resourcing, to report to the authority in an efficient and more timely fashion, whilst minimising costs and increasing the effectiveness of the legal team.
Learn how Practical Law can be applied when establishing a separate company by a local authority.
Daniel Greenberg, Parliamentary Lawyer, talks about the risk of not using fully up-to-date legal research and relying on unreliable sources, comparing free online research tools with the authoritative cases and legislation on Westlaw UK.
Daniel Greenberg, Parliamentary Lawyer explains how we can help you to keep on top of all upcoming legislative and regulative change.